Last Updated on February 2, 2021 by Cynthia A. Rose
Do you have unused bones lying around after dinner? Instead of throwing them away, you can grind them so that to use them in another job. But most of the people do not understand properly how to grind bones without a grinder since they think that it is a hectic process which is not.
Grinding bones without using grinders are essential, especially when the bones become hardened, which may cause danger to your blender resulting in breakage. Therefore, manual grinding is the best solution to prevent any damages that may occur during the process.
In this guide, we are going to share detailed information about the appropriate way to grind your bones without the necessity of the grinder. So, let us see below.
Step by step guide how to grind bones without using a grinder
It is possible to grind your bones without grinders by the use of food processors and blenders. Let us look at the steps one by one, as discussed below.
(a) Before Blending
Before grabbing your bones into the blender, ensure the following;
1. Choose the correct bone to blend
Identify the uncooked and soft bones that the device can grind so quickly. It is good to consider the most appropriate bones for the grinding process by considering below.
- Avoid using large bones like those of lamb, pigs, and cows.
- Never use cooked bones since they may be harmful for consumption by your pets. Cooked bones usually have very few nutrients than the fresh ones.
- The rib cage, chicken wings, back, and even necks are the best choice of bones for grinding. Additionally, you can use bones from any other small animal such as fish and rabbits. However, it useful to choose the bones that are not too long or thick, which are easy to break.
2. Prepare the chosen bones
At this step, you need to prepare the chosen bones to smaller pieces for easy turning into powder form. To achieve this, ensure the following;
- Grab the strongest and sharpest knife, such as the chef’s knife. However, if you have more durable kitchen scissors, they can act as the best alternative.
- Next, you now separate the bones that you identified into small pieces that fit perfectly to your blender. For instance, you can take chicken wings and chop them at their joints that contain bones.
- In case you intend to mix your meat bones with vegetables, you can chop and cut vegetables into small chunks for them to grind quickly, mixing with the bones hence producing excellent taste for your pet.
(b) During the blending process
Since you have chosen and prepared you’re your bones, now you can turn them into powder for your plants or pet. But how is it possible? Let’s see below.
- Instead of using bone grinders, grab a food processor or a blender that you selected for the grinding process.
- Place your bones into the blender as you grind them together in multiple.
- Next, you can fill the blender with enough bones one at a time paying attention to the device to run smoothly while grinding finely.
- In case grinding require more time, take an interval for some times of about 3-4 minutes.
- Carry your job gently without putting pressure on your food processor or blender.
- You can as well add some little water to the bones that may require them while ensuring perfect grinding.
(c) After blending process
Once you finish grinding your bones, you can take your ground bones to the garden to act as fertilizer or feed your pets. Besides, you can grab the new ground and store them for future use. Let us look now on how you can store the remains as well as the proper way of cleaning your blender.
How to store the ground bones
This is a critical area where once you have used your ground bones, you can store the extra one so that you can use them later. This one is possible by;
- Keeping the extra ground bones using a sealed container to prevent any spoilage.
- Once you seal the container, you can keep it into your refrigerator for sometimes. Note that ground bone freezes for some time but loses its quality around 5-10 days.
- You can store the liquid food which you previously blended using the same guidelines. However, you should ensure fresh feed to the pets.
Clean your food processor or blender
Everybody likes general hygiene. Therefore, avoid leaving your food processor, ground bones, or blender without cleaning them thoroughly. Consider the following necessary steps for your general cleaning.
- Once you finish using your blender, you can take it outside and clean it using hot soapy water. Alternatively, you can use a dishwasher if only it is possible. Besides, if your device contains any removable parts, you can remove them and do some thorough cleaning.
- Allow the parts of your machine to wet entirely after washing them. You can use a cloth that is clean in mopping them to remove any water that remains behind. Mopping is essential to remove any water that may otherwise damage the machine with time.
- Once you complete, you can store your device in a cool place to use it whenever the need arises.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you eat ground bones?
A: Of course, yes, some of the athletes eat bones in the form of bone food through powders mixed into smoothies. This powder results from finely dried bones.
Q: Is bone marrow good for bones?
A: Some experts say that bone marrow has more quantity of minerals and vitamins compared to the meat itself. Besides, it features a high amount of calcium that is essential for the strengthening of bones.
Q: How do you use garden bones?
A: During planting season, you can sprinkle the fertilizer on the bottom of your planting follow instead of putting the seeds first.
Hopefully, you have gotten enough information and other essential tips on how to grind bones without a grinder. Therefore, make sure that you keep your bones instead of throwing them away. They are useful, especially when the ground for pet food as well as garden fertilizer. Besides, store the remains of the ground bones well for future use.
Hi, this is Cynthia A. Rose. Welcome to my Grinder related blog. Usually, I am a housewife. I am busy with my kitchen and cooking all day. My main desire is to create a new recipe every day. But I have to use new tools every day to create new recipes. In this blog, I will share you how to use kitchen tools properly. I will not just share cooking related equipment, I will try to review all kinds of grinders among you. I hope my 12 years of experience will come in handy. Thanks!